Think of a business idea that you would like to start, or one that you are already working in. You’re going to connect your business with a team of professional musicians but in this case, your teammates will be famous (or not-so-famous) business people that actually exist (or have in the past). You may choose any famous iconic figure like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs for a role. For simplicity sake, you might use a simple music band as your model because you can limit it to five players—your drummer, electric guitarist, bass guitarist, keyboardist, and a lead singer.
On your team, you’ll also have the following:
• CEO or President
• Vice-President of Production
• Vice-President of Finance and Accounting
• Vice-President of Sales and Marketing
• Vice-President of Human Resources
For each category, list the name of the person you chose and the reason you chose them.
VP of Sales and Marketing: My father’s friend, Joe Schmidhopper, because Joe is a genuine guy who can sell anything.
Limitation: You can’t choose Jesus, God the Father, or the Holy Spirit. Everyone gets them as the coaching team!
Once you have all your people in place, each person in your list will have to contribute two ideas or words of advice to help you move your business forward, but using the metaphors of any of your favorite music. Remember, this is a creative exercise so be creative. Don’t worry about your logic. Just let your mind run freely in the music metaphor.
Back to our example: VP of Sales and Marketing: My father’s friend, Joe Schmidhopper, because Joe is a genuine guy who can sell anything. Joe would say these two things:
1. Patrick, we need to recruit the best musicians who can bring the crowds to their feet. Music is about creating an emotional reaction amongst the audience. We need top performers. Let’s hire the best musicians.
2. Patrick, keep the audience in mind, but don’t just play your best songs; you have to adapt your song selection for each particular audience. You’ll be more likely to connect with people if they feel that you are singing directly to them.