Your challenge is to identify an area outside of sports that you are interested in and come up with 10 metaphors or analogies that will apply to you becoming an innovator and entrepreneur.
It could be in the area of music, the arts, or movies. Make some comments on each metaphor or analogy.
Submit them in a Word document to your teacher.
Sports has always given us metaphors that many business owners and managers use to motivate their team and help them be productive. You’ve likely heard these examples before:
• Let’s play as a team!
• We’re in the big leagues.
• Let’s take a timeout.
• We play to win.
• Take your best shot.
• We’re playing with amateurs.
• I hit a home run.
Section 1: The Power of the Idea
Ex 7: Aggregate Ideas (Cont.)
You could go on and on with metaphors that relate to different sports. I think of examples from soccer which was my favorite sport when I was growing up. Here are some examples:
1. The team: working with others increases my chance of success. In fact, without a team, I’d be run over. And without a good team, we’ll lose the game. It’s so important for me to be a part of a good team in business.
2. The field: this is my home field advantage. If another team comes onto my turf, they’re going to expect a hard time. We’re going to play extra hard.
3. The lines: these remind me of the rules and guidelines we need to play within. God gives us a way of doing business but the world also does. When the referee isn’t watching, God still is. I want to play fair, even when I’m playing hard.
These are just three examples.